Monday, June 14, 2010

World Cup: Go Korea... Fighting!!!

"Ohhh Ohhh Ohhh Ohhh!!! ...
Singing forever young,
Singing songs underneath the sun,
Let's rejoice in this beautiful game
and together at the end of the day
We all sing...


Jenni (on her scooter), Me on my bike, and Erin. Still smilin even though we lost against Argentina!

This year is the absolute first time I've ever been interested or even watched an entire game of World Cup soccer. The first spark of enthusiasm started with my student's love and praise of Park Ji Sung, Korea's most famous soccer player who plays for England's club Manchester United. He is like the "Kim Yuna" (Korea's figure skating Olympic Gold medalist) of soccer. Korea still doesn't get a lot of national attention with their athletes, but individuals like Ji Sung are making that dream possible. Koreans are so proud of him!
Park Ji Sung (aka... Jenni's boyfriend)
Also, one of my best friends here is from Cape Town, South Africa. Although, Anne-Mari is more into Rugby, she still enjoys hearing about the activity back home. It's so great to hear her describe South Africa and what is going on with her friends and family over there with the World Cup. She, for one, doesn't think the vuvuzelas, the South African stadium horn, should be a complaint!

I've always wondered why I never really payed attention to the world's most played sport. Most of it is because the US has too many other sports that are more popular and have more press time on tv. Spending this year in Korea, away from the hype of American football and basketball (which I do miss watching), has given me more of an opportunity to get into Korea's main sports: Soccer and Baseball (Gwangju is home to the KIA Tigers who won the National Championship last year!!!).

After watching Korea's first win against Greece (2-0), it felt like the shops were painted red with all the "Go Korea" T-shirts and other merchandise. For the next game against Argentina, a group of friends and I went to our running spot, in Sangam Park, to watch the game on a big screen along with hundred of other fans! It was so neat to see every one's enthusiasm and to watch the game outside in such a beautiful location. Unfortunately, we lost big time with Argentina's key player, Messi, but managed to avoid an upset with the final score being 4-1.

Now, I have gotten into watching Korea play, but the excitement doesn't stop there! Every night there is a great game to watch and truly admire this "beautiful sport." With the way the players use their bodies to pass, defend, and move the ball up field, it's almost like an art! Also, I just love the fact that countries around the world are hyped about this time, that teams and players are gathered to play and relationships are being made, and that attentions are less on war, but on the WORLD CUP.

Oh and speaking of wars, North Korea made it into the world cup this year, first time in over forty years, due to a goal Park Ji Sung scored on a team allowing to the enter into the tournament. That is pretty neat and I think N. Koreans are very appreciative of him. North Korea plays the Portuguese, one of my favorite teams, tonight. The US has actually been doing quite well with their tie against England (1-1) and tie against Slovenia (2-2), in which they should have won, but were denied a great goal due to a poor call on a foul. Geez. But they haven't lost!

This morning I woke up at 3:30am to watch Brazil play a great game against Cote D'lvoire (3-1). I'm realizing that there are many styles to soccer. It's more enjoyable to watch when refs let the players play instead of calling every touch. I've never seen so many slide tackles before!
In the mean time, I will continue to obsess about the World Cup with friends (poor Jenni, she sticks with me when I get overly passionate about commentating games, plays, and players) and students. It's a great topic to get open discussions started at school!
Anyway, I'm excited to see how the tournament continues to go..... :-D
Korea's beautiful flag
... We all sing
WHEN I GET OLDER,
I WILL BE STRONGER,
THEY'LL CALL ME FREEDOM
JUST LIKE A WAVING FLAG...."

No comments:

Post a Comment